There is a sale of some kind at least once a week at Victoria Hall and all goods entered are automatically graded in order to place them in the sale which will produce the best price.
The weekly sales of general goods provide an excellent cross section of substantial Victorian and later furniture, china, glass, small silver and plate, jewellery and general equipment. Once per month there is also a section devoted to stamps, coins, cigarette cards, post cards and medals.
Four or more times per year, the collective antique furniture and fine arts sales are held, with carefully categorised items offered with the back up of generous international advertising, a high quality illustrated catalogue and an active mailing list of specialist dealers and collectors.
In addition, the same information is displayed on our website with photographs of every item in the sale. Condition reports and further information on any lot can be obtained by email etc.
The sale goods come from a multitude of sources, from single items entered for specific sales to whole or partial house clearances, dealt with on behalf of executors who require the practical expertise necessary to organise such an operation.
Other specialist sales include Toys and Dolls every Spring and Autumn with an illustrated catalogue, and Fine Wines before Christmas. Both these events which are backed up by our website have over the years attracted a regular mailing list of predominantly private buyers that bring considerable specialist enthusiasm to the chosen subject.
From time to time, single owner collections of all kinds have appeared with the vehicle of a larger auction sale. This has taken place after careful specific marketing often with the initial involvement of the owner.
It was in 1906 that Thomas Hartley moved to Ilkley and purchased the old business of Robinson's Invalid Couches, and set up in business at Tower Buildings, Cowpasture Road, with departments for household furnishings, removals, undertaking and notably an auction saleroom. His youngest son, Douglas, took over this side of the business and in 1929 moved it to Victoria Hall, Little Lane. It was later, in 1936 that he started with Douglas Smallwood the new firm of Dacre, Son & Hartley, which grew to be the biggest independent firm of chartered surveyors in Yorkshire.
Meanwhile Andrew Hartley, the third generation of the family, had taken on the furniture and fine arts side (after a three year spell at Cambridge University) and ultimately was able to concentrate exclusively on the chattels department and to develop it to one of international status with a turnover of £3 million per year.
Since 1989, the saleroom has been run as a totally independent business under the banner of Andrew Hartley Fine Arts with the emphasis on personal service to both vendors and purchasers. Since 2006 the Company has taken on the title of "HARTLEYS".